Automated regression testing is a software testing process where test cases are automatically executed after changes are made to the code. It is used to validate that the changes made to the code have not impacted the existing functionalities of the software. Thus, below are the benefits of automated regression testing.
- Time-saving: Automated regression testing saves time compared to manual testing as the test cases can be executed faster and more accurately. The time taken to execute regression test cases manually is usually longer and prone to errors, but automated regression testing reduces this time considerably.
- Consistency: This testing ensures consistency in the testing process, which helps to prevent human errors. It helps in detecting the changes in the code and validating them, which makes the software testing process more accurate and efficient.
- Cost-effective: It is cost-effective in the long run as it saves time and reduces the need for manual testing. It also reduces the cost of manual testing, which is usually more expensive due to the need for skilled testers.
- Improved software quality: It helps to improve the quality of software by ensuring that the changes made to the code do not negatively impact the existing functionalities of the software. It helps to catch and fix bugs in the early stages, which reduces the risk of defects in the final product.
- Increased confidence in the software: It helps to increase confidence in the software by validating the changes made to the code. It helps to ensure that the software meets the quality standards set for it and that it is fit for release.
- Faster feedback: This testing provides faster feedback on the changes made to the code, helping developers to identify and fix issues early in the development cycle. This leads to quicker release cycles and reduces the time-to-market for the software.
- Increased test coverage: It allows for a larger number of test cases to be executed in a shorter period of time, providing increased test coverage. This helps to identify more potential bugs and improves the overall quality of the software.
- Improved reliability: It eliminates the possibility of human error, ensuring that the test cases are executed consistently and accurately. This results in greater reliability of the software, as it is tested using the same set of test cases each time, reducing the risk of defects.
- Improved maintainability:It makes it easier to maintain the software over time, as the test cases can be easily updated and executed as the code evolves. This helps to ensure that the software continues to meet the expectations set up for it.
Automated regression testing is an important aspect of software testing. It helps to save time, increase accuracy and consistency, reduce costs, etc. The use of automated regression testing has become a standard practice in the software industry, and various tools are available to help with this process. One such tool is Opkey, a cloud-based test automation framework that enables users to create and execute automated regression tests with ease. Opkey is user-friendly and provides features such as visual scripting, test case management, and detailed reporting, which makes it easy to manage and execute regression tests.